Viewing and Navigating 3D Models in the Cloud
September 25, 2012
Gain access from anywhere to models and the project information linked to them.
Newforma enterprise software for project information management includes a viewer that permits you to open, view, and mark up 2D plans. That way, when someone sends you DWG, DWF, DGN, PDF, or other common file types, you can open and view them without having AutoCAD, Adobe, or other authoring software.
Now that the industry is moving to BIM (building information modeling) and 3D models, Newforma software will soon offer similar viewing capabilities for models created with Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD, and other popular BIM technologies.
That’s right. You’ll be able to navigate 3D models without owning or learning Revit or other design software.
It’s possible because Newforma has licensed key elements of M-SIX’s VEO platform for 3D building model collaboration. With a few clicks, you’ll be able to publish Revit models to the cloud, in a secure environment, accessible wherever you have an Internet connection.
These are models you and your team members use to collaborate earlier in the design process. That collaboration will be easier and more practical than ever.
There are a lot of ways you’ll benefit from the integration of M-SIX BIM viewing capabilities with Newforma project information management, or PIM.
• People who are not Revit jockeys will be able to navigate 3D models without fear of breaking something in this read-only version of the model.
• Project team members will be able to tie action items, submittals, RFIs (requests for information), and other forms of project information to relevant elements in the model. Imagine: Instead of saying “Do we need fire protection on this structural bracing?” you’ll be able to include a link to the bracing in question with your RFI. No questions. No confusion.
• Users will be able to take snapshots of model views to share with team members. (Users will be able to mark up those snapshots, too, all in one integrated workflow.)
The ability to view and navigate models will permit team members to see RFIs, submittals, markups, and other action items in context, which will improve clarity, reduce chances for misunderstanding, and create a more complete project record.
Best of all, by putting easy navigation and a visual context for project-management items at your fingertips, you will enjoy more informed decision making in less time.
How does viewing and navigation of 3D models improve project delivery?
Building information modeling presents new challenges for project information management, or PIM.
• Information about the model needs to be shared, coordinated, and discussed. Examples include action items, submittals, and emails that document decisions about the design of the model.
• Graphical information in the model needs to be coordinated among many different purpose-built models, as when reconciling spaces in the design model with zones in the energy performance model.
• Non-graphical information in the model, such as space planning data, needs to be managed by personnel who do not know or own design software.
• Information generated from the model, such as hardware schedules and sheet sets used for bidding and construction contract administration, needs to be logged, filed, and accessible for reference.
Newforma PIM software makes it easy and practical to manage these aspects of your workflow, and much more.